What Level of Penguin are you?
Skill Level supersedes Age to ensure swimmer safety during practice. Head Coach will evaluate all swimmers for skill level and place swimmers in appropriate instructional groups. Individuals may be moved up or down depending upon instructional needs.
What is an Emperor Penguin?
- Typically ages 11 and older swimmers who are able to swim at least one lap of each stroke – freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly unassisted.
- Emperor Penguin practice emphasizes technique including starts, turns and finishes; legalizing strokes, and conditioning. Workouts are strenuous and geared towards swimmers with advanced skills.
- All Emperor Penguins will receive a swim team participation award.
What is a King Penguin?
- Typically ages 8, 9, 10 and 11 year old swimmers who are able to swim at least one lap of each stroke – freestyle and backstroke, unassisted.
- King Penguins focus on refining freestyle and backstroke technique, learning advanced disciplines of butterfly and breaststroke while refining diving and block starts. Practice focuses on stroke technique, legalizing strokes, or conditioning, depending upon skill level.
- All King Penguins will receive a swim team participation award.
What is a Royal Penguin?
- Typically ages 7 and under swimmers who are still learning how to swim freestyle and backstroke. Swimmer MUST be able to swim at least one full length (25 yards) of the pool unassisted.
- Royal Penguins focus on two competitive strokes freestyle and backstroke, basic starts including diving and are introduced to breaststroke and butterfly.
- All Royal Penguins will receive a swim team participation award.
What is a Jr. Penguin?
- Typically ages 4–6 swimmers who CANNOT yet swim one full length (25 yards) of the pool unassisted. Swimmer must have previous swim lesson experience and be able to swim 6+ yards unassisted.
- Jr. Penguins will swim in “Mini” meets swimmers as they advance. These events will be held on Friday mornings during regular U6 practice times.
- At Coaches’ discretion, Jr. Penguins may move up to Royal Level and compete in Dual Meets during the season.